1st XV v Kingswood 7th December

After a bonus point win over Ashley Down, Saracens travelled to Kingswood knowing a win could possibly move them top if Bream were to lose.

Kingswood found themselves on the scoreboard in less than five minutes, after Saracens gave away a penalty for hands in the ruck after failing to claim the ball from kick off. Kingswood kicked for touch and their catch and drive worked well and the backs move that followed carved open the away defence.
This was then converted, as Saracens tried to regroup from their slow start.
Following this, both teams fought themselves to a stalemate until a very strong run by Wayne Smallman on the right wing brought a penalty. This lead to a 15minute flurry of Saracens attacks on the Kingswood line, with the home side receiving three yellow cards. Still the home defence stood strong, absorbing the pressure on them and turning it over to make phases of their own.
It wasn’t until centre, Jack Lawrenson, turned over one of these phases that Saracens put the hands through the backs and fullback Sam Rimmer touched down left of the posts with flyhalf Marcus Latchford converting.
Kingswood responded immediately, picking up three points, as Saracens gave away a penalty in front of the posts from the restart. The rest of the first half developed into another stalemate with neither team able to best the other’s defence. Half time Kingswood 10-7 Saracens.

The second half started as the first half ended, with both teams trying their best to put moves together but knock-ons and mistakes hindering progress.
Kingswood missed a penalty kick at the posts after Saracens were penalised at the breakdown and the away side responded almost immediately. Latchford’s chip over the fast rushing defence left room for Leroy Hughes to catch and touch down under the posts with Latchford keeping his 100% kicking record adding on an extra two points and giving Saracens a 4 point lead.
After this, Kingswood pressed the issue and played their way deep into the away team’s half. The away defence managed to turn over the ball, but passed possession away to Kingswood allowing them an easy, but unconverted, try.
Kingswood applied more pressure after the restart, kicking a penalty to make it 18-14. This was shortly followed by another catch-and-drive try, as Saracens failed to deal with the maul. This was again unconverted.
Saracens responded to this with Latchford chasing his own chip over before offloading to Fred Barrett who tapped down under the posts. He also converted the kick himself, making it 23-21.
Saracens tried to dig deep and win the game but a strong defence pressured them into mistakes. Eventually the pressure was too much and a knock on brought an end to the game.

Leave a Reply